North East Seattle Together builds a sustainable, inter-generational community that supports neighbors in growing older together with confidence, joy and peace of mind.
NEST (North East Seattle Together) is a grass-roots community bringing together individuals, families, seniors, students, business owners and community organizations to ensure that as we grow older, we can continue to live safely and confidently in our homes, in the neighborhoods we love.
What is NEST
NEST is a 501(c)3 non-profit grass-roots community in Northeast Seattle. By providing a strong support network through volunteers and trusted business referrals, older residents can stay in their homes, and stay engaged in the neighborhoods they love for as long as possible. NEST serves the neighborhoods north of the Montlake Ship Canal, south of Northgate Way & NE 110th Street, west of Lake Washington, and east of Interstate-5. NEST is based on a national model called the “virtual village model.” Currently there are about 120 virtual villages actively serving across the United States and many more in the works.
How NEST Works
With one phone call, NEST members access:
- Helpful volunteers in their area to assist with daily tasks like transportation, household upkeep and staying physically active.
- Enriching events and activities for learning and fun
- Referrals to pre-screened professionals who can help with anything from financial management to caregiving
- Family members feel less stressed and isolated.
- Neighbors of all ages become more deeply engaged in their communities.
- Neighborhoods feel safer and more friendly.
- Businesses see more customers and become more closely linked with their neighborhood.
- NEST Members receive dignified assistance when and if they want it, connections with their community, and can stay in the houses and neighborhoods they love.
Why NEST Works
NE Seattle residents value community and inter-generational relationships.
NEST works because we make it easier for people to connect in the ways that they want to connect. Whether for social activities or a hand around the house, NEST connects neighbors.
Within NEST each person has something to give, and everyone benefits.