What is NEST
NEST is a 501(c)3 non-profit grass-roots community in Northeast Seattle. By providing a strong support network through volunteers and trusted business referrals, older residents can stay in their homes, and stay engaged in the neighborhoods they love for as long as possible. The NEST idea is based on a national model called the “virtual village model.” Currently there are about 120 virtual villages actively serving across the United States and many more in the works.
To do this, NEST does three things:
- matches members with volunteers to assist with daily tasks like transportation, household tasks, and staying physically active.
- organizes events and activities for learning and fun
- maintains a list of pre-screened professionals and discounts at local businesses
How NEST Works
With one phone call, NEST members access:
- Family members feel less stressed and isolated.
- Neighbors of all ages become more deeply engaged in their communities.
- Neighborhoods feel safer and more friendly.
- Businesses see more customers and become more closely linked with their neighborhood.
- NEST Members receive dignified assistance when and if they want it, connections with their community, and can stay in the houses and neighborhoods they love.
Why NEST Works
NE Seattle residents value community and inter-generational relationships.
NEST works because we make it easier for people to connect in the ways that they want to connect. Whether for social activities or a hand around the house, NEST connects neighbors.
NEST (North East Seattle Together) is a grass-roots community bringing together individuals, families, seniors, students, business owners and community organizations to ensure that as we grow older, we can continue to live safely and confidently in our homes, in the neighborhoods we love.