Do you wonder if that new diet you’ve heard about is a fact or a fad? Come to the Wellness Party Thursday, April 23rd and find out (just look how much fun we had at January’s Wellness Party)! The theme for April is Nutrition and Wellness, and we’ll have nutrition expert David Edman here to answer all your nutrition related questions!
Equal parts education, conversation, and exercise, NEST is partnering with in-home care experts Right at Home to bring you this monthly series, new for 2015! Wellness Parties are a place where community members come together to learn and to share what it means to grow older in healthy and active ways.
Parties begin with a presentation from local experts giving the most up-to-date information on topics ranging from heart health to skin care. Presentations are followed by discussion and 30 minutes of low impact exercise lead by Lisa Stuebing of Mud Puddle Fitness.
Wellness Parties happen the 4th Thursday of every month at Faith Lutheran Church. Bring a friend or neighbor and be well with us, (206) 525-6378 or email@example.com. Open to the Public. $10 donation for non-NEST members appreciated.
Learn, connect, and be active at this Thursday’s Wellness Party
Equal parts viewing, exercise, and conversation, NEST is partnering with in-home care experts Right at Home to bring you this monthly series, new for 2015! Wellness Parties are a place where community members come together to learn and to share what it means to grow older in healthy and active ways.
Parties begin with an episode of PBS’s new series on health and aging, Feel Grand with Jane Seymour, giving the most up-to-date information on topics ranging from heart health to skin care from today’s medical experts. Viewings will be followed by discussion and 30 minutes of low impact exercise lead by Lisa Stuebing of Mud Puddle Fitness.
The first Wellness Party will take on the topic of brain health. Explore the latest groundbreaking research on Alzheimer’s Disease, and learn ways you can keep your brain healthy and active. Click here to see a clip from the Feel Grand Brain Health episode.
Join us for the first installment of the Wellness Party on Thursday, January 22nd at Faith Lutheran Church, (206) 525-6378 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the Public. $10 donation for non-NEST members appreciated.
No matter what your interests are or what your schedule is like, you can make a difference with NEST. These fun and rewarding NEST projects will leave you feeling gratified and in tune with your community!
Member Services Volunteer: Member Service Volunteers work in the NEST office to connect NEST members with our volunteer and vendor networks, and end up connecting meaningfully with members themselves! We are seeking a volunteer who is available for a three hour shift Friday mornings between 9:00 am and 1:00 pm.
Friendly Visitor: Have flexible daytime hours? Set up a weekly visit with a NEST member, and help them out with a few chores while you’re there. Play a board game, enjoy lively conversations, and create a lasting friendship with your neighbor, all while helping them keep up with their dishes.
Men’s Group facilitator: Volunteer facilitators help conversation flow easily and evenly in the group, and work closely with NEST staff to develop topics for discussion. Our Men’s Group meets at the NEST office from 10:30 am to 12:00 pm every Friday. These guys love to laugh and are full of amazing stories!
Do you want a more flexible volunteer schedule? Jump into one of these projects:
NEST Birthday Brigade: These volunteers deliver cupcakes and good cheer to NEST members on their birthdays. Popping by for a quick and festive visit brightens everyone’s day, and usually results in a cute selfie or two!
NEST Special Event Committee: Like planning events? Join the Special Event Committee, and bring our Spring Fundraising Dinner to life! Work closely with NEST staff and committee members to make this annual event a success.
Drop in Visitor: Want to visit with NEST members, but don’t have a free hour and half every week? Be a Drop-in visitor, and stop by a member’s house a few times a month for a cup of coffee and a little catching up. Volunteer in your neighborhood, and make a close friend around the block.
Call or email the NEST office at (206) 525-6378 or email@example.com for more information, or click here to sign up to volunteer with NEST.
Join NEST’s team of volunteers, because we’re always better together!
Here are my favorite NEST moments from 2014:
- Our Summer Celebration. We found some shade on an unexpectedly hot day in July and had a wonderful time together. Look for more chances for our whole community – volunteers, members and other NESTers – to come together for food and fun in 2015!
- Fall Resource Fair. Twenty of our best vendors and 100 folks from the NEST community exchanged informed questions and answers at our first ever Resource Fair held at Aljoya in October. You gave us such positive feedback we know we MUST host this event again!
- Spring Celebration and Fundraiser featuring Nancy Pearl and Steve Scher. 150 neighbors enjoyed Steve and Nancy’s sweet and easy exchange on books, all while sharing great food and conversations with each other. The sense of fun and community makes this event stand out.
- It’s impossible capture all the ways you contribute to and influence NEST. EVERYthing you do within and for NEST positively impacts someone else in our community, and I hope this is always true! Between October and December, more than 100 NEST fans rallied to ensure that we continue to be an antidote to loneliness in NE Seattle. You helpped us raise $21,066. Thank you!
As we begin our fourth membership year, NEST’s impact on individual lives and in our community is still unfolding. The more you engage with NEST, the more NEST will reflect you, your hopes, and your needs.
We have lots of new things planned for 2015. A few ideas you can expect to see are:
- More neighborhood-focused gatherings. We’re hearing from many of you that simply getting around within our service area is getting more challenging. Why fight it? Join us as we experiment with localizing NEST.
- Relationships will stay front and center. We want to make it easier for you to learn, do, give, and receive ideas, support, and inspiration with and from your neighbors. Check out our new website and get connected!
- Evocative and practical information and services. Check out our events page to see our new programs and upcoming events!
I would love to hear from you. Do these highlights and anticipations reflect what you want from NEST?
Wishing you a wonderful beginning to this new year.
With gratitude and in service,